Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Does it suck having an undergraduate degree and washing dishes for a job, absolutely. There are days when my alarm goes off at 5a.m that I wonder why I'm doing this job, I really don't need a college degree to wash dishes for a 12 hour shift. Almost every job I've applied for, even entry level, I'm overqualified. I wonder why I spent 4 years and $100,000 on a history degree. Believe me no one out there is seeking out an employee that has skills in reading the most boring history books known to man, writing historically accurate papers, or being able to regurgitate detailed history notes on a test. Don't get me wrong, I love history, and I had so much fun reading those books, writing papers, and even looking back now, taking those tests...but really...what was I thinking. <----- that's my whiny, negative side talking, DON'T listen to her!!

 A little part of me does cringe when people ask me what I'm doing now-a-days, but in the big scheme of life I'm blessed to even have a job right now. Thousands of college graduates are having a harder time than me. I’m so thankful that I have a husband who has a great job and if something happened where I had no job, we would be ok. So for the time being I have to look at the bright side, keep my chin up and know that God has a plan for me. Right now His plan is having me serve old people (sorry I hate using the words “elderly residents”) in the best way possible that I can. I work hard to keep their coffee cup full, make sure they like their food, have the drink they want, and keep everything clean, orderly, and on time. I treat all of them the way I would want someone to take care of my grandparents. I really love old people. Most of the time they are a little crazy, but in a goofy, funny way. Can they be demanding, impatient, and frustrating? Yes! But, I have my days too; I'm always aware to be extra nice, patient, and understanding to those people.

Today I read this quote, and it was just what I needed to hear.

"Own the trial. We each come with our own personal trials. God trusts us with them, he knows us and knows what we are capable of. He hopes we can learn and teach others from our own experience. It's hard enough going through it, but what if we went through the trail{s} with an attitude that "this too shall pass"? Everyone struggles, God has faith in me, I have faith in myself and I can do this. What a difference your struggle could be. - Stephanie Nielson"

SO WHAT if I never use my history degree.

It might not have been the most practical degree, but the friends, knowledge, and midset I've gained has been changed for the better because of it. I guess I just have to look at it as an awesome $100,000 shopping trip that will have to last me a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment