Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Return of the Kirby Man


Tonight the doorbell rang...again.

I swear the city must pay people to come ring doorbells to sell stuff or ask for money in this neighborhood. Evan answered the door and stepped outside before I could see exactly who it was. As you all know Evan is a s-u-c-k-e-r for sales people. (aka hes a really nice guy who just can't say no) I peeked out the window and it was a Kirby man. For those of you who might not know, Kirby men and I have a...special relationship. I immediately felt my blood pressure rise as I swung the front door open, and swiftly closed it behind me. Evan already had a bottle of free carpet cleaner in his hand and the guy had the box lugging it up the front steps. I braced myself in front of our door and politely said our Kirby friends were already here, I had the 3 hour demo, and that I wasn't interested. Then he started..."Well if I do 3 demos I get reimbursed for gas and my time" yada yada yada...I firmly said no thanks. The sob stories kept coming, along with the no's from me.

"I don't mean to beat a dead horse here but -- " 
I cut him off and said in a irritated, flat tone "But you are."
Evan looked a little surprised, and the Kirby man left with his boxes. 

"Meredith, that was kind of harsh." Evan said after we were back inside our "dirty" carpeted house.
Maybe it was harsh, but hell will freeze over before I buy a sweeper from Kirby. Either way I kept my evening, sanity, and dirty carpets! 

FYI: 30 minutes later two guys came around asking for donations for helping inner city people make better life choices. (No offense to inner city people, but can't I get a donation for making wise life choices and for not ending up a loser?? I'm just saying...) They left with a $25 donation from us...Oh Evan. I guess it's a good thing one of us isn't heartless to all the people who come to our door! 

No comments:

Post a Comment